Monday, September 17, 2007

Lists

One week after our Bon Voyage party. Nomad was returned to the waters of Santa Cruz Harbor after 10 days 10 feet up in the air. It was a hectic marathon/sprint to get all the important things done and then return her to the water as quickly as possible. It seems that the longer a boat is hauled out, the larger the bill. We managed with help from Brian's Dad and much from Deyess and much from the yard crew to have the bottom sanded and repainted, take all of the through-hulls out, clean them, and reinstall them, remove the propeller shaft, replace the cutlass bearing, replace the propeller shaft, replace the motor mounts, and a few other messy things. The best parts about it all was after being placed back into the water, the engine was quieter, and the boat didn't sink. 3 days later, it still hasn't.

I've been trying to think of interesting things to write because everything else I seem to write or think about is in list form. Lists of things to do, things to buy, people I want to connect with before we leave, even lists of questions to ask. Despite the lists, I feel disorganized and unstructured. I feel the most structured, in control when I cross off items on the lists. Of course, it often means that I've finished one thing only to have remembered or discovered 2 more things that need to be added. These perpetual lists require patience. So does the nonexistent departure date. I noticed on Lisa's wedding website that she and Frances have a count down to their new life. 26 as of 9/17/07. We don't have one of those countdowns. As best we figure it will be early/mid October, before the weather turns wintery and after we've completed all of the most important things on those lists.

Our party on the 9th was one more reminder that we are not alone in this world and we are supported and surrounded by the surprising kindnesses of friends and family. I even started a list of people to thank. It's never ending also. I don't even want to begin listing the people because I'm bound to forget someone who has helped us on our jouney. I can only hope that we can pass the kindnesses along as we travel.

1 comment:

HappyRelations said...

I'm so sorry we didn't make it. If you need some help, call me! 831-335-2087! We have arms to help you out.... Love monika